Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

No More Babies!!!

It's official. I don't have a baby in the house anymore. Tristan will be two in just a couple of days, and boy can you tell! He's grown up so much the past 6 months, and even just in the last two weeks. He's all little boy now- full of adventure and opinions. He's still got the sweetest little personality though. He loves to snuggle, and says thank you when he nurses. So precious.

 

 

He's talking so, so much now. About 6 months ago, I was actually a little worried that his verbal development was delayed. (Hayden was saying over 100 words at 20 months old, so I think that skewed my opinion just a little.) Just as I was starting to get worried, he had a language explosion. And then another a couple of weeks later. And then another. Then about a month ago, he just started talking in semi-complete sentences. He can carry on a conversation now! If I tell him not to do something, he now responds with, "Why not?" If he can't find me, he'll walk around saying, "Mommy, where are you?" When we're driving in the car and pull back into our driveway, he says, "Made it home!" It's so funny just how involved he is in the family conversations now. He even likes to tell jokes. His favorite one is to say, "Mommy, guess what?" and then when I say "What?", he makes a toot noise. He thinks it's so funny.

Is it just me, or does he look like a disgruntled teenager here?
Is it just me, or does he look like a disgruntled teenager here?

 

 

Life is definitely easier now that he's talking so well. If he's hungry or thirsty, he can tell me. If he has a dirty diaper, he comes to tell me. I really don't have to do a lot of guessing or mind reading anymore. He's always been a little person, of course, but now he's a verbal, semi-independent person! He's worlds different from the baby he was.

 

 

He's also really learning how to play and pretend. He loves to crawl around on the floor saying "meow! meow!" Just in the past two weeks or so, Hayden and Tristan have magically learned how to play together! It's been such a relief for me. After having to give nearly constant supervision since Tristan's been born, it's still almost surreal for me to see them go into one of their rooms and play together nicely for 20 minutes at a time. Amazing!

 

It's so different to not have a baby in the house! Hayden was only 21 months old when Tristan was born, which means for the last 3.5 years of my life(and for my entire career as a mother sofar), I've always had a baby in the house. I've got two kids now- this is a brand new season! We can walk and ride bikes to the park without anyone having to ride in a stroller. I can safely step out of the room while they're in the bath(always within earshot, and just for a minute, of course) to pick up toys. They're both walking, talking, and playing- together! I miss having a baby, but I'm excited to see what this new season will bring, and especially how the kids' relationship will grow as they get older. I know we have such fun times ahead!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment