Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Celebrating 18 months of nursing!!!

Tristan will be 18 months old tomorrow, and we're celebrating. We've been nursing for 18 months now, and I'm so proud of us. I wasn't sure that we'd make it this far- Hayden stopped nursing at 15 months. I really, really wanted to make it further with Tristan, and we're doing it! He loves his num num so much that I don't see him weaning anytime soon. I think we'll make it to 2 with no problem.


Nursing a toddler has been such a learning experience for me. I didn't expect that. After over 2 years total of nursing, I didn't think there were any surprises left. I had no idea that nursing a toddler would be so different from nursing a baby. But it is. Nursing a baby is one thing- they're tiny, helpless, and completely dependent on you for their survival. Not so with a 20+ lb, 18 month old little boy. He's talking, climbing on everything, and eating like a horse. He doesn't need num num to survive anymore. He needs it for the attachment. He needs it to feel close to me, to feel secure and safe. To feel comfort. And giving that to someone, to someone who's turning into a little person in his own right, is much different than giving food to an infant.


Nursing into toddlerhood has transformed my outlook. In giving of myself to my son, my eyes have been opened. I'm learning what it is to truly connect with someone, to open your heart and let love in. I'm giving him more than just milk- he could do without the milk at this point. I'm giving him love- connection on a most basic human level. And it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. After 25 years of life, 6 years of marriage, and 3 years of being a mother, I feel like I'm finally learning what it truly means to LOVE. And I'm so thankful for the sweet little boy who's teaching me.



Happy 18 months sweet boy. I'm so blessed to have spent them with you. I love you with all my heart.




* I do feel the need to remind everyone that breastmilk still does provide nutritional and immunological benefits after the first year. Don't want to be spreading misinformation!

No comments:

Post a Comment